11.29.2009

Steak Night Sides Part Two: Tossed Lettuce Salad



Tossed Lettuce Salad
from 1966's Recipes on Parade: Salads


1 med. head of lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
2 lge. tomatoes, cut into chunks
5 med. green onions, chopped
4 slices bacon, fried and crumbled
3 slices American cheese, cubed
2 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper


Combine lettuce, tomatoes, onions, bacon, and cheese. Mix vinegar, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Pour dressing over salad to blend evenly. Yield: 6 servings.


Mrs. Henry E. Chriceol, V. Pres. OWC
San Vito dei Normanni Air Station, Italy


Okay, I'm a sworn enemy of American cheese. This recipe reminded me of those iceberg salads covered with Ranch dressing I couldn't stand as a kid. It sounded like the kind of salad I would typically pass on. In fact, I'd turn up my nose as I passed. I tried to keep an open mind and was pleasantly surprised by the good crunch and the flavor. I actually ate seconds. I'm not going to start making this on a regular basis, but it was pretty tasty.







2 comments: